Gen K Vacancies
Gen K is looking for new board members for this academic year as well as for board members of the alumni committee!
Vacancies Board 2021-2022
Positions that are opening up:
On the Board of Gen K, the positions of Secretary, Treasurer, External Affairs Officer, and Chair of Activities are opening up. You will be forming a new board with our current Chair, Merel, and Internal Affairs Officer, Nina. Aside from the duties and responsibilities that are specified for each position below, being on the Board of Gen K entails representing Gen K, creating and providing a safe and welcoming environment for members, attending events, and of course, weekly board meetings to make this and more possible.
What is a Study Association:
Since Gen K is a study association, the association and its members are specifically tied to the Gender Studies department of Utrecht University rather than being a student association that is open to all students that are enrolled at Utrecht University. The study association is run by a board that represents the members. The Board also oversees possible Committees, like the Activities Committee and the Alumni Committee, of which members can become part of as well. As a study association, Gen K provides students from the different Gender Studies programs academic enrichment, career development and social interaction.
Gen K is a new study association, which means that some structures and events still need to be set up from scratch both in front and behind the scenes. As a board member, you will be able to work with the rest of the board to set this up and influence the direction of Gen K for the upcoming years. Though it differs slightly from position to position and week to week, being a board member will require about 4-8 hours of work a week.
Vacancies Activities Committee
To organize events for our members, Gen K has an activities committee. Apart from the position of Chair of Activities, we are also looking for people who want to join the committee and set up all kinds of events like parties, lectures, the Politics of Location discussions and any other fun ideas you might have.
Vacancies Alumni Committee
In addition to looking for board members, Gen K is looking for Gender Studies alumni to be on Gen K’s alumni committee. Gen K aims to connect current students and alumni of the Gender Studies programs. Since this is a new committee, you will have a lot of space to shape the alumni committee through various events.
How to apply
If you have any questions about being on the board of Gen K or about specific positions or the alumni committee, feel free to reach out to us. You can apply by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before September 26th. Please let us know what position you are applying for (if you have a preference) in a brief (max. 200 words) motivation statement. We look forward to receiving your applications!
More information on the specific positions
The duties and responsibilities of the secretary of study association Gen K are:
- Taking minutes of the board meetings and GA’s, writing up the minutes and making them available to the members of the board and all the members of the association;
- Maintaining the membership file;
- Taking care of and archiving incoming and outcoming (electronic) mail;
- Informing members via the newsletter;
- The registration of the new board with the Chamber of Commerce (KvK)
- The deregistration of the old board at the Chamber of Commerce (KvK)
- Making changes to the statutes (if decided in the GA) at the notary, and reporting these changes to the statutes of the association to the Chamber of Commerce (KvK)
The duties and responsibilities of the treasurer of study association Gen K are:
- Keeping track of monetary booking regarding study association Gen K;
- Drawing up the budget at the beginning of the board year and presenting it at the first GA;
- Mid-term evaluation of the budget made at the beginning of the year;
- Drawing up the realization at the end of the board year and presenting it at the GA;
- Keeping track of financial stocks.
External Affairs Officer
The duties and responsibilities of the internal affairs officer of study association Gen K are:
- Maintaining relationships with other associations and organizations that are connected in one way or another to study association Gen K;
- Taking care of the communication with Utrecht University and the Gender Studies department;
- Develop networking and career orientation opportunities.
Chair of Activities
The duties and responsibilities of the chair of Activities of study association Gen K are:
- Coming up with events with your team, making sure events are planned on time, run smoothly, and the appropriate people are involved.
- Working closely with the two activity coalitions; academic activities and social functions.
- You will be responsible for having oversight of the activities of the year, by who they are planned, and other logistics. The chair of activities can be considered as the in-between of the board and the two activities coalitions.
- You will practice management skills, organising logistics around events, and finding different ways of applying academic life to social activities. Being chair of activities gives you an insight on behind the scenes of the program Gender Studies and an opportunity to build your network and strengthen the Gender Studies community.